Destination - Atacama Desert
The Atacama Desert is a culturally rich and diverse place. It is the driest place on the earth and in some places no rainfall has ever been recorded. The Atacama is one of the must see destinations of Chile with it’s river’s, green canyons, altiplanico lakes, geysers, salt flats, flamingos, sand dunes and natural hot springs. San Pedro de Atacama is an oasis in this region and provides a rich cultural heritage for you to explore with the it’s ancient rituals are still carried out today. Its clear skies make it a fantastic destination for star gazers and with the Paranal Observatory used in the bond film only an excursion away and a new Observatory being built Paranal at the moment it’s a star gazers dream.
Accommodation in San Pedro de Atacama ranges from luxurious 5* hotels to guest-house style accommodation, you can find something for every budget. Please refer to our hotels link on the bottom of this page for more details.
There are tours to El Tatio Geysers, Moon and Death Valleys, the Salt Falts, Mining Towns, Observatories, Pukara de Quitor and Tulor. Please follow the link below to our tour pages for more details. We highly recommend the 3, 4 or 5 day programmes which include the highlights in the Atacama Desert and which can be reserved in conjunction with your preferred category of hotel. These programmes include airport transfers and all your sightseeing tours so you can arrive in the Desert with everything pre-arranged allowing you to make the most of every moment in the beautiful Atacama.
Map of Chile
As this is a high-altitude desert area, with lots of sunshine, precautions should be taken to make sure you enjoy your outings:
- The town of San Pedro is located about 2,400 meters above sea level. Excursions will take place around this altitude and even up to 4,300 meters above sea level (Tatio and Altiplanic lagoons).
- Drink lots of liquid, preferably water, regardless of whether you are thirsty or not.
- Everyone knows how sensitive his/her own skin is to sun exposure, but we recommend you always carry sunscreen and lip balm with sun block that provide the necessary level of protection for your skin.
- Good sunglasses to protect your eyes. A good hat is also essential.
- Summer temperatures are hot during the day, an average maximum of 30º Celsius, and 14º Celsius at night. In winter, the average maximum is 20º Celsius during the day, and temperatures can drop below 0º Celsius at night. On outings in the highlands, particularly to the Tatio Geysers, which always take place at dawn, temperatures are below zero degrees Celsius. Warm clothing has to be included to cover this wide range. The best approach is the "onion" technique, with several layers, none very thick. (The ideal is to wear a windbreaker and a fleece jacket over regular clothing.) In the winter, for highland outings, cotton underwear is helpful.
- A good pair of shoes for walking, ideally hiking boots, and if possible, a pair of light shoes for walking in town and leisure.
- Bring a bathing suit for the trip to the Geysers and the Puritama Hot Springs.
- The relative humidity in the air is always very low. If you skin is sensitive to this condition, bring plenty of moisturizers with you, especially lip balm.
Monjes De La Pacana and Tara Salt Flat
Arqueological Tour Tulor and Quitor
El Tatio Geysers and Machuca Village
Atacama Salt Flat and Altiplanic Lagoons
Toconao Village and The Atacama Salt Flat
Active Experiences in the Atacama
Adventure in the Atacama Desert 5 days
Marvels of the Atacama Desert 4 days
San Pedros Secrets 5 days
A Look into the Atacama Desert 3 days
Wonders of Unuyi Salt Flat and Altiplano 4 days
See Our Highlights For Atacama Desert